Myths About Drinking Coffee
There are so many myths surrounding drinking coffee that it’s hard to know what’s true and what isn’t.
So let us shed some light on these tall tales and dispel some of these coffee myths once and for all.
Can Coffee Cause Insomnia?
A common coffee myth that isn’t entirely true. Coffee contains caffeine, a stimulant commonly known to keep us awake and alert. In moderation, caffeine isn’t harmful to us and shouldn’t impact on your sleep cycle. In fact, caffeine is processed through the liver incredibly quickly!
Drinking too much caffeine can affect how well you sleep though as it blocks chemicals in our brains that make us feel tired. So although coffee doesn’t cause insomnia, if you can’t handle the caffeine, try switching to decaf!
Does Coffee Help You Lose Weight?
Not exactly. There is some evidence to suggest that some of the biologically active substances found in coffee beans can promote weight loss. Caffeine found within coffee is a stimulant. This can slightly increase your resting metabolic rate which means it increases the number of calories you burn while at rest. As well as making you more alert, caffeine can promote the release of fatty acids from fat tissue by increasing the levels of adrenaline in your blood. But, as you drink coffee, you build a tolerance to caffeine making it an ineffective long-term weight loss strategy.
Does Coffee Stunt Your Growth?
This is a myth that has been around for a long time but it is just a myth. It’s not clear where this myth came from but there has been no evidence to support it. So no, coffee does not stunt growth.
Does Coffee Dehydrate You?
As part of a normal, healthy diet, coffee should not dehydrate. The caffeine is a mild diuretic so drinking a lot of coffee can cause some symptoms of dehydration like headaches and a dry mouth and you may find you need to spend a penny a little more often.
Does Decaf Coffee Have Caffeine?
SHOCK – decaf coffees do contain traces of caffeine! It is incredibly difficult to extract every single bit of caffeine so most decaffeinated coffee have at least 97% of the caffeine in the coffee extracted, leaving less than 3% of the natural caffeine levels in the coffee. The method used to remove the caffeine have a big impact on what is left behind. Our Ness Point uses the CO2 process, were carbon dioxide – something naturally found in coffee – is used to remove the caffeine. This method is effective and also has to minimal effect on the flavour compounds.
Does Coffee Sober You Up?
Scientifically speaking, no coffee does not sober you up. Drinking a cup of coffee can’t change the alcohol levels in your blood. But, coffee can help partially reverse some of the effects of drinking alcohol, most noticeably it can stop you feeling tired, make you more alert and increase your concentration.
Should You Use Boiling Water For Coffee?
Using boiling water is definitely bad for your brew. Water that is 100C scorches coffee and causes them to extract too quickly, producing a bitter taste. The optimum water temperature for brewing coffee is between 91C – 96C. If you don’t have a thermometer to hand, boil your kettle then leave it for 30 seconds before pouring over your grounds.
Does Espresso Have More Caffeine Than A Cup Of Coffee?
This is a tricky question to answer! Gram for gram, espresso does contain a higher amount of caffeine than say a cup traditional filter coffee. However, because of the difference in volume an espresso shot will have less caffeine that a large cup of filter coffee.
Is Dark Roast Coffee Stronger?
Dark roast coffees tend to have a punchier, more dominant flavours than lighter roasts. They also have a heavier body and stronger aftertastes. In terms of caffeine though, dark roasts contain slightly less caffeine compared to lighter roasts.
Take a look at our exciting range of coffee.